2.21.2007

I See the White House

I see the white house, I’m hard of hearing
this angle, it’s a new one
the sun is bright, the sky is brilliant
the blue looks like it’s made of tin
and you as high as tusks of elephants
and you as low as limbo down
and you as warm as bread and flowers
we washed our hands of you
we washed because our hands were washed of you
I see the white house, I’m hard of hearing
the crowds have come to hear us
the claws of indignity are out and we have nothing
you think because I called out, I have a plan to carry through
but folks like me, we call out, we have no plan, we have no secrets
no secrets like some men do
I see the shambles of your roaring years ahead of us
you fell with trumpets blaring nothing good and nothing new
your shiny ways, your paste and cardboard, you should see it now
but you’re alone, asleep in gardens
asleep alone, you’ll wake tomorrow
I see the white house, I’m hard of hearing
goodbye to all that, sometimes it’s the truth

September 28, 1999

No comments: