11.30.2009

Tenleytown

I have not been
Sleeping so well
I would prefer not to be
Persecuted for my nightmares
It's not like I selected them
Carried and corrected them
Rather, I gather and cultivate
The robotic and the reprobate

I replace pinwheeled decorations, numerically descriptive
With inappropriate behavior
Colored by lonely penny-ante poems
I used to ask her to read them aloud
I'd sit there pensive, nervous, but proud
And if she'd get the accents and inflections wrong
I'd remember it's the singer not the song

Sad refrain:
Except when it's the song
Except when it's the song
It's always the song
Always the sad sweet severance song
You got it wrong baby, always perfect and wrong

I have not been
Accepting of fate
Throat-clearing as I spit
An "it's not too late" at the audience
If you don't see them there
They're a ghost of a guy with a gun and a girl
And another girl with glittery eyes
And their cats and their kids and mittens and hats
They applaud as the reading comes to a close
They applaud as the moment sweeps to an end
They applaud as the loved one sneaks away softly
As the one who loves him looks down

And the one who doesn't nods and says to his face
You have not been accepting of fate
Because you and I agree on this
Fate is just future; future is just dots on a grid
Together they crooned and capped on the clever kids
Of which they were two

But they is I and he is she
The one who does is the one who doesn't
A is B and C is D
Everyone is one and the same

I should be as lucky
To be as joyful
As the two kids in the D.C. subway
Coming back from a Joe Cocker concert
In 2003, didn't they know Joe was old enough to be their dad?
As they first-kissed their first-date into the deep dark tunnel
They disembarked at Tenleytown

November 27 and November 30, 2009

No comments: