12.21.2009

Never Been to Hammond

Never been to Hammond
Never been to Jackson
Never been to the changing table
Never been to the sevens and eights

And yeah I've been to Scranton (4)
And yeah I've been to Tustin (2)
And yeah I've been to a cave for kids (3)
And yeah I've been to cemetery gates (1)

It was in 1999
Her friend died
Leaving behind
A husband and a cold charmed city

It was in 1988
My love left
She said she had
A moment of regret

It was in the seventies
Man-made, not nature-made
Later, I left them all
Kids in a sewer in September

It was in 1981
I went to a bookstore
Then went to an another
Came home clutching comic books

It was in 2029
It was in the infernal pines
It was in 2029
I was in fear of the signs

I saw them everywhere
I traded four for two and two to make eight
I saw them walk away
It was not in 1998

Years roll and years split
Spineless, timeless, why not?
Never been to a believer's church
Never laid in a burial plot

Never been to Oxnard
Oh yeah I've been to Oxnard
Never been to Downey
Oh yeah I've been to Downey

But we are we are we are
Sleepy and bleeding
Breeding and weepy
Yes we are we are we are

Never been to Paterson
Except for passing through in '96
Never been to Albany
Except for holding court in '88

She couldn't wait for me
I couldn't spin the world
I couldn't pretend time zones were irrelevent
She wouldn't cater to me

So when my sister got married
And my cousin got matriculated
I stood by, sleepy-eyed, world-weary
And my cousin just extrapolated

He turned to Paris and Chicago
My other cousin found Manhattan to his liking
My sister found the lowest mansion on the hill
My absence was notable if not striking

Never been to Glasgow (true, true)
Never been to Dublin (except the one in Pennsylvania)
Never been to south of North America
Never been to north of my birthplace, not once

I want to double the final verse
I want to counter the family curse
I want to be better than prescribed
I want to unexpected and unretired
I want to relive the years I died and stayed dead
I want to forgive the tears I cried as I never said
Love is futile if it's only a name
Never been in love, baby baby still the same

December 17 and December 21, 2009

No comments: