1.31.2010

My PJ Harvey Problem

I’m trying to explain
my begrudging hatred
of PJ Harvey
I’m investigating deeply
whether my trouble with her
has something to do
with gender, with youth
and what if it does?
how do I work through that?
after all, I know some brilliant people
who find her to be a genius
what am I missing?
what do I lack?

but maybe rather then it being my fault
perhaps Polly Jean is to blame
perhaps her songs are lacking
some semblance of listenability
because her sensibilities
are built upon
the ravenous curtailing of certain emotions, followed by
the ravenous dispensing of selected other emotions
i.e., her songs (except C’mon Billy) suck
whatever the reason, consider the investigation
incomplete

November 20, 1997


(note: Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea made this "problem" disappear) 

No comments: