10.31.2006

The Shoe Store

you can pull and pull and pull but nothing will come of it
you can strain and strain and strain but nothing will inspire
you can rustle with the fabric and ask me for a gift
but nothing will come of it, nothing will inspire

you can hand me a flyer and tell me what I’m missing
you can point me to the street and tell me where you’ll be
you can scramble for an angle and take me with you
but I’m not going with you, I’m going home alone

these were the issues I had to grapple with in 1987
I was young and it was sunny and we were in Anaheim
these were the tensions I had to quash in 1987
there are always ways to get in trouble into Anaheim
and it’s strange but I don’t remember their names
and it’s strange but I do remember the shoe store
and it’s strange but I don’t remember my reaction
and it’s strange but I do remember the shoe store

June 2, 1999

No comments: