11.12.2006

3 Poems (Penance)

bloglaw#1: If you promise one poem a day for the rest of your life and then you miss a day (see yesterday) the penalty is that you must post 3 poems the next day. So today you get 3 (admittedly mediocre) poems, all written on September 13, 1998 in Tempe, Arizona.

Andromeda

among the rugs draped on counter tops
I sit, a stranger, but skilled
zones away from home, tears away from clown
nearly reticent but not
in an odd way, yes
but far from out there, far from
weightless, you can hoist your bones
into well-sketched heights and dots
representing nothing I’ll ever see
nothing I can ever hope t reach
but in cold, surrounded by hot
I can hope to sleep without you
that is my one grand schemy scheme
all I have left, a clown with a cleft
that strangers without justice touch
red card, black type, all the while
hoping it wouldn’t
have a chance of not
being true or reachable
but in the long hallways of the far from home
doors cannot be left ajar
I’ll sleep safe, but still without you
in cold among hot, rootless
and free as a three-pronged outlet


Jesus Over There

Jesus over there
has hair of frolic and atrophy
ladybugs for eyes
sugar packets and silky scarves
because Jesus over there
has the right
to get up, stand up, stand up for your right
and that’s so...
I don’t have another way
of considering this scene
before me, Jesus over there
frolic hair, atrophy hair
and outside is a Tempe mist
nothing but coming down
from half a moon and not a sun
spraying joy, nondenominational
onto the last peace left
in a Sunday here
in the special side room
of the corner coffee bar
in main street, medium town, western USA
that’s all I can say, all I can share
about me over here and Jesus over there

Blanket

Nadine doesn’t drink Fruitopia
she didn’t like the ad campaign
from a couple of years ago
she just likes to dance slow
to Everything But the Girl
she just likes to bob and weave
until they tell her to leave
closing time, every new beginning
comes from some other fuckety fuck
and that is why there is a way
out from bad rhetoric
and truly dismissive mediocrity
not in the way the small define it
- in a back alley
behind an art deco theater
in South Pasadena
in a Robert Altman film
from a Michael Tolkin script –
but in the way I define it
a better man, a more human screenwriter
as the lights fade into the desert
and the half moon makes a go of it
I want to be home with my blanket
and sleep until it’s gone

No comments: